Tuesday May 5, 2015
We’re back on Serendipity now after a fantastic week with my parents, but once again we’re being smacked in the face with reality. Â No, not necessarily because we’re faced with boat work, this is no ‘woe is me for having to put forth efforts of labor’ so don’t cry for us just yet. Â The reality we’re now faced with is we have a huge decision to make and we can’t run from it any longer.
The big question we’re now asking ourselves, and one we have to answer soon, is ‘Do we sell Serendipity? Or do we keep her?’.
And what you might be asking yourself now is..’Where is this coming from? Â Hasn’t this been what they’ve been spending the past two months working toward?’. Â Well….yes and no.
The more and more we get Serendipity ready to sell the more we’re questioning why we’re getting rid of her. Â And the more and more we look at all the work that is going to have to go into Daze Off, we’re questioning if it’s the right decision to rebuild. Â Let me go into each one in a little more detail.
First: Serendipity. Â Let’s look at our past three years cruising on her. Â She has taken us so many places and covered so many miles with us safely in tow. Â About 15,000 nautical miles to be exact. Â She’s weathered countless storms and always comes out the other side, none the worse for wear. She’s light, fast, incredibly easy for the two of us to handle, and has been a pleasure to sail. Â We’ve had very few problems on her and if anything does arise it’s always a quick and easy fix. Â How many boats out there can say that?
As if it wasn’t enough just to have a great cruising boat, we love spending our time on her. Â The layout is perfect with double settees for port and starboard for us to lounge on, a v-berth that is comfortable enough to sleep with (if I were to wish for things I’d go for a king bed, but we’re on a boat, so let’s be realistic), and a galley that I have finally mastered and can cook quite a good meal in if I do say so myself. Â The head is plenty big enough, although showers can still be a pain sometimes as I’ve found out in my unusual life. Â It’s funny how one can easily forget some of those minor irritants after two months in a marina.
I’m sidetracking myself here. The point is Serendipity is extremely comfortable for the two of us to live on and there have rarely been times we’ve found ourselves saying “If only we had a different boat for one reason or another”. Â To sail another few years on her in the Caribbean would be as simple as snapping our fingers. Â She’s in perfect condition, there’s no work that needs to be done, we could go now and not think twice about it.
Second: Daze Off. Â That boat, that hunk of metal, the money pit, and so many other names we’ve been affectionately referring to her as lately. The boat that we purchased sight unseen, without a survey, and traveled back across one healthy body of water to get to. Â Not only is there a lot of time and money in our future going toward this particular boat, but there are so many unknowns!
Take the hull and keel for example. Â Upon purchase we knew there were two definite holes from corrosion that would need to be welded. Â Ok, we can handle that. Â Although now we’ve been here a few weeks and have had more chances for closer inspection, we’ve found a few more, just adding to the fun. Â Now we wonder how many more corrosion issues are hiding where we can’t see them and if we’ll get smacked with a huge bill from the welder as he starts the work. Â How much will just this issue cost us? Â $5,000? Â $10,000? Â We have no idea, and to be honest it’s kind of scary to pursue any further without that knowledge.
But let’s say that part all goes swimmingly and the only thing we have to worry about is refitting a boat. Â It’s still refitting a boat…inside out and top to bottom. Â We arrived with the notion that this whole rebuild would only take us 6-9 months, but now we’re looking at all the work and extending that further and further out. Â 12 months? Â Maybe 18? It’s all such foreign territory to us.
Even if the welding and the time frame didn’t deter us…there’s the cost. Don’t get me wrong, if and when we fix up this boat it’s going to be done right. Â The interior will be all new and very modern looking. Â White wainscoting on the walls, cherry cabinets, and maybe maple for the sole. Â There will be new recessed lights, fixtures, cushions, fabric…everything. Â Plus the exterior will be outfitted with all new electronics and we’ll get even further into the digital world for all of our technology. Â This boat’s gonna be plush. Pimp. Â Whatever you want to call it, she gonna be lookin’ hella good when she’s done.
All of this comes at a cost though and although we’ll be doing all of the workÂ ourselves (besides the welding), plus we know how to scour the internet for days and weeks if need be for good deals, it does all add up. The real question is, how much will it be at the end? Â Will we have wasted a year of our time and the rest of our cruising kitty on a boat that is indeed beautiful, but now we either can’t afford to keep her or have to limit our remaining cruising time to 6-12 months because that’s all we’ll have left in the bank account? Â We don’t know. Â We hope it doesn’t come down to that and we don’t *think* it will, but again, we can’t be certain of it at this moment.
I’ve gone as far as to post this conundrum on my personal Facebook page and ask for my friend’s advice. Â 9 out of 10 people told us to get the heck out of dodge with Serendipity. Â “You have a perfectly good boat, why get rid of her?” Â “Refitting a boat is so much harder than you ever imagine it will be.” “Get back down to the Caribbean and hang out with me instead of working on a boat in Florida.” Â Ok, that last one may have been biased and based on personal friendships instead of boats, but you get the idea. Â Everyone is telling us to take the perfectly good boat and run.
So what will it be? Â Honestly, I am 100% confused and undecided at the moment. Â I’ve begun looking at marinas in Puerto Rico and it’s outlying cities that we can quickly get ourselves down to in time for hurricane season. Â Then I think to all the possibilities Daze Off has and daydream about what a cruising life on her would be like. Â Shortly after, I begin reading my guide books on the Eastern Caribbean and think of all the islands we haven’t seen yet that could be checked off in the next 9 months…only to revert to how much further we could travel in Daze Off. Getting to the Baltic Sea and tying up in Copenhagen or exploring the fjords of Norway. This boat could take us anywhere!
This is a decision we really need to make soon, but both of us are so incredibly torn. What’s logical and what’s right? Â Unfortunately, there are no simple answers to this question.
*Editors note: Since this post is being published two months after the fact….you probably already know the route we chose.