Sunday April 1, 2012
Only two weeks into sanding and I was already starting to dread Sundays. Â The hassle and 60 minutes spentÂ to get the tarps up while the wind fought me every step of the way, working with a sander that did not get me anywhere, and having my whole body aching by the end of the day. Â It may not have been so bad if I could tell that I was making progress or the end was in sight, but when we got to the marina and I took a look at the boat there was still sooooo much more to be done. Â In my head I kept thinking that if I were to keep working at this pace every week we really would not finish this project until some time in the fall.
After getting everything set up for hte day I was ready to pull out the Makita when Matt said I should switch to the the Porter Cable he had been using in the fall. Â He thought I’d get much further with it than what I had been using and it would make work a lot easier on me. Â At first I was thinkingÂ this planÂ would not work at all because the thing was huge and I was pretty sure there was no way I’d be able to hold it up for more than 30 seconds at a time but I figured I’d work with it for thirty minutes just to tell him I tried and then go back to the Makita.
Lifting the heavy sander I turned it sideways so I could get a better grip, turned it onÂ and held it up to the hull.Â Â The momentÂ the roughÂ paper touched the paint it began to take it off immediately.Â Â This wasn’t like the Makita where the paint would turn 3Â different colors before I could see theÂ white/gray hull.Â Â Â Removing the paintÂ wasn’t the full 6″ diameter of the sander but it was a few inches high by a few inches wide which was good enough for me.Â Â Working the sander from left to right the paint would just fall off although huge clouds of dust always followed it. Â When I’d start to get to an areaÂ where I was raisingÂ the sander enough so it was level with my faceÂ I’d pull out a little step ladder and keeping workingÂ my way up. Â The progress I was now making with the larger sander was amazing. Â In one hour with the Porter Cable I did more than one whole day with the Makita.Â Â By the time I was nearing the end of my work day I had probably gotten 1/3 of the Port side of the hull done.Â I hadn’t gone underneath the hull though because that would have actually required me to hold the sander above my head and I didn’t think I was ready for that yet.Â My arms were still adjusting to the extra weight of the heavier sander and quitting time did end up coming 45 minutes earlier than normal. Â I was still proud of my work though and in a tired but estaticÂ way I was thinking this project may actually get finished in the next few weeks.
Getting ready to start
Add a Comment