Monday February 4, 2012
The painting is, dare I say, done. At least for the areas that have already been fiberglassed. It was a lot a long process, and a lot of time spent in small spaces, but now it’s one more thing checked off our list. The process wasn’t hard, although we had to split it up over yesterday and today in order to do two coats. Yesterday we washed down the whole area. While waiting for it to completely dry out, we ran some errands on the bike. Trying to fill the fridge again with at least two or three nights of meals we walked through the aisles of Winn Dixie before jumping across the street to Home Depot. We’re trying to find the right fittings to connect our grill to our propane tanks, and no matter what we buy it never seems to fit. Hopefully today will be different.
Errands ran, we got back to the boat and wiped down the now dry areas with Acetone before painting. Then it was the squeezing into small spaces. The only area I had to do yesterday was the bilge running from the mast to the galley. I thought it would be easy, it’s painting. I like painting. But I guess what I really like, is painting in areas that I can see. Plus I was given one rule (besides don’t get paint on the floor or settee), and that was Don’t get paint on the wires. So what happens as soon as I get my brush wet and stick it under the floor boards? I get a big ‘ol splat on one of the wires. Ooops. Looks like I didn’t tape them away quite well enough. Then there was also a little more trouble while painting in between open holes in the floor where I couldn’t even see where my brush was making strokes, but after dousing the area I’m pretty sure it’s covered.
Matt painted the engine bay, which at first I felt really bad about because he had more square footage, but then I realized his area had much easier access, and then I didn’t feel so bad for him. Then today was a day for the second coat of paint. Once again we had to wipe down and Acetone the areas, but this time we first had to take sandpaper to what was already painted so we could rough up the surface a little and give something for the paint to grab on to. Once again Matt tackled the engine bay while I did the bilge. But in addition to that, I was also given the project of painting the remaining storage areas under the port settee. I thought it would be a cinch compared to the bilge, because like Matt, it was a much larger and more exposed area to work in. What I wasn’t counting on, again, where wires and hoses. It was very hard to work around them and I didn’t finish until more than two hours after Matt. He was probably sitting around on his computer watching me and thinking “Ah, so this must have been what it was like for you last week while I was working”.
My expert work didn’t finish there though. We had taken one of our water tanks out weeks ago to make room for the fiberglassing, and while it has been sitting on our deck since then, we were ready for it to go back. But not after a good cleaning. I asked to take the hose to it while trying to get the most pressure possible to blast the sides of the tank with. I tried once and it didn’t work too well. What I did find out though, is my arm is somehow small enough to fit in whole, so with a few paper towels I was able to give the entire inside a thorough wipe down. I think I’ll feel much better drinking our water now, after seeing what the inside of the tank had previously looked like.
Also, I hate to admit it, but we have become ‘those’ pet owners. While browsing through Amazon I came across this cat harness and leash, and thought it would be a good idea to have for Georgie. It still worries me a bit that she won’t know how to handle herself right away on deck with the rocking motion of the boat when we’re back in the water. It will probably be more of just a training tool for a little bit, or if she demands on being outside when conditions get just a little bit rough (only in the cockpit of course). But we also feel so bad for the times right now while we’re on the hard and we’re running around on the ground and she sticks her head over the side, mewing, and basically asking if she can come with us. So today, we let her.
Having put her in the harness for a few hours for the past few days just to get her used to it we figured she was finally ready for a little walk today. We clipped on the leash and carried her down the ladder. We set her on the ground,….and nothing. She didn’t move. Thinking she may not like the surface of the rocks in the yard we picked her up again and brought her to the little park across the street. She wasn’t a fan of walking in grass either. She literally just went limp on the ground. Trying to get her moving we would pull up on the leash, but she’d still just stay limp, with her feet dangling a few inches off the ground. It gave us a good laugh for a minute, until we felt bad. On pavement though, she likes to move. We can walk her just like a dog. That is, until she decides to stop and twist herself in circles, which was often.